Trials & Tales of Tucson

Monday, September 27, 2010

Tired

I had quite the busy weekend and I'm not sure I can even describe everything that went on. To start off, Friday was mostly a usual Friday- I went shopping at the food bank and worked at BICAS, but it also saw some unusual things in going out to breakfast with Jenna, one of the VS's support group members, to talk about taking care of the VS cars which is one of my jobs. As well as at night, our whole house went to the Glow fest which is a bit hard to describe but it was essentially a hippie/alternative art and music festival that was a dude ranch way out north of the Catalina's. Art involved things that glow and most were left for very open interpretations and music involved mostly folky, acoustic sounding noise, sometimes with words, sometimes without. Overall, it was a great experience, and if I had a chance to go again, I probably would, if it were with the right group of people.

We ended up not getting back until past 11 because it was over an hour drive from our place and Saturday morning we had to get up at 5:30 to go hiking! A short sleep, but you can sleep when you're dead- (one of my new life motto's haha). A large group of us, 14 in all-Me, Amy, Audra, and Miriam, Kristi, Dan and Scott, Jacob, Luke and Stevie, Jen, Kaitlin, Erin and Jeff- to name them all. We all headed south to the Santa Maria's which is the mountain range that is straight south of Tucson. I don't know if I ever mentioned this but what makes Tucson so beautiful, and also easy to learn directions is that it is a flat valley that is surrounded by all four sides with mountains. To the north- Catalina's, west- Tucson mountains, east- Rincon's and south- Santa Maria's. Anyway you look, you have a pretty good looking view.

Soooo, we drove down to the Santa Maria's to summit Mt. Wrightson, tallest peak in all four ranges, at least I'm pretty sure. It's quite a hike too, you start at about 5,500 ft. or so and climb to 9,400 give or take a little on both sides. It's five miles to the top which may seem like a bit but when you're climbing four thousand feet it's almost short, in other words, the five miles were UP. Scott, leader of CHRPA and leader of hikes ha, lead us straight to the top in about two and a half hours, we were booking it right up the cliffs. There were six of us in the front pack lead by Scott- Me, Dan, Luke, Jacob and Erin. So we made it to the top and got to hang out for about an hour before the entailing second group made it up. The view of southern Arizona was spectacular and the weather was PERFECT. Us guys had our shirts off and it was still almost a little warm. We all had a good time chatting, eating lunch, and taking pictures. As some of you know, I get a bit antsy on hikes and often try to find anything I can to make things a tad more exciting- well this time it was the other side of the summit- making our own path that is. I convinced Luke and Jacob, two of the YAVer's that we could traverse the rock cliffs and make it back down to the saddle about a mile away on trail, without the trail. Ended up... great idea! It was mad fun, more exciting and make some great pictures. Speaking of, hit the link to check some out- LINK. I wish we could have done that down the whole mountain. In short, we all made it down safely and all 14 of us were tired, sunned and ready for a nap- which most of us saw in the afternoon.

That Saturday night then we organized a little get together which involved fun, chats, star gazing on the roof and DANCING. We had the JVCer's and Luke the solo YAVer over and had a good time. So it was a early hike, lazy afternoon and another late night with fun. Sunday I then got up, a bit reluctantly and biked off to my first soccer game. I felt like a kid again, first just because of the tournament style atmosphere, then we got new jerseys!- which were also yellow and blue which were my old club colors, and of course we won, and that's all I did when I was a kid haha. We won 3-0, playing pretty well I'd say comparatively speaking with our potential. To the other teams defense they didn't have a single sub- in 40 minute halves and 95 degree weather. I should have scored but came out empty handed- last time it will happen, but did help in producing all 3 goals. It was swell and I look forward to our next game. I thankfully came home to a message saying the house got invited to a cook out at a church goers house and so I headed up that way and got a delicious lunch which was just what I needed.

So with out more words, it was hard to get up today and go to work on Monday, but work went well and I look forward to resting up a bit before the week hits another head of steam. Hope ya'll are doing well and I think of you often. I watched this random movie Amy got from the library yesterday called Old Joy, and it was filmed in Portland and the Cascade Mountains somewhere around Colton and it made me pretty homesick. In a good way though, I don't think I get bad homesickness, it just ain't in my blood. Good movie too though, I enjoyed it thoroughly.



Be easy and live life- you can sleep when you're dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment